In a study of 120 senior teams in 11 countries, the Hay Group found that CEOs themselves aren't always clear on the decisions they want a leadership team to resolve versus those they reserve for themselves. The research findings identified six steps that increase the likelihood of a senior team evolving into an efficient and effective unit capable of leveraging its collective expertise to address an enterprise's most important challenges and opportunities.
- Deciding you need a team.
- Creating a compelling purpose for the team.
- Getting the right people on and the wrong ones off.
- Giving a team the solid structure it needs to work.
- Giving it the support it needs to succeed.
- Coaching the team.